Friday, October 9, 2009

Law Student VS Engineering Student: Episode 1




For those who are unaware, my roommate James is a student of the law, and I am an engineering student. Countless hours of joy are found as we share knowledge and engage in battles of wit. A good deal of our mutual amusement is founded upon our different perspectives of the world. The following tale illustrates this perfectly.

When the weather cools down James and I like to open the window and place a fan in it. It seems like a pretty normal thing to do right? I thought so, but James informed me when I first moved into the apartment that the neighbor beneath us is a smoker. When he smokes it drifts out through his AC unit, up the wall and into our room. It never really bothered me, but someone might as well have been pumping mustard gas into the room with James' reaction. When summer came the window stayed closed so the AC stayed in, but the issue recently resurfaced with the cooler weather. James was venting his frustrations to me the other day, we laughed for a bit and I candidly shared an observation of mine. It went something like this:

"You know we could always turn the fan around so the air is getting blown out rather than into the room."

His response:

"Oh… (pause)… yeah, that would work."

Then he laughed and said:

"I was considering setting up a verbal contract with him where I would pay him a monthly fee to not smoke during certain hours of the day. I guess this is easier."

Law Student 0 Engineer 1

1 comment: